Home > Knitbuddies > Welcome

Sunday, September 30, 2007

kitty: habu inspired market bag

item: Habu Inspired Market Bag
pattern: by me
yarn: Maggi Knits Maggi's Linen
content: 524.0 yards Linen/Cotton (probably 100yds extra)
price: $4.00
time: a week

I have really been infatuated with the Habu bags for a while. The problem with buying a kit was the great fear that there wouldn't be enough yarn for the length of bag that I wanted and there was something about them that I didn't like. I mainly wasn't sure about the dimensions of there designs. The other concern was to have a bag that while empty would lie flat since I didn't want any added bulk in the bag since the ideal length for me was around my hips.

I took a lot of the information that I got from the Maggi Jackson Class last year about building a stable Linen item. I wanted a bag that would have minimum stretch and then blocked hard so it would maintain its shape. The photo above was taken after stuffing it full of yarn above. It returned pretty much to a flat state.

The bag has a play of two textures, which were used to break up the seed stitch for the entire bag. The center panel is a broken basket weave that has a definitive straight knit row for stability as well.

I am really excited about how it turned out. The straps are long enough to wrap comfortably around the body and to also have added slack if I ever need to reinforce the bottom and still have a strap to carry.

4 comments:

  1. I am not feeling better, sorry to say.
    Glad you enjoyed the homemade needles.

    I see that this bag is Habu-inspired. Tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I really love the saffron yellow colour you chose. I'm really interested in buying the Habu Kusha scarf but the whole ordering process at the Habu site is rather confusing. Have you ordered from there before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out great and I love the color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. so interesting about the structure and how you took the strength and memory-limitations that linen has into consideration ~ such careful thinking! go you ;)

    and a beautiful color too, i agree!

    ReplyDelete