Home > Knitbuddies > Welcome

Thursday, February 05, 2009

kitty: Arimatsu-Narumi Shibori: Celebrating 400 Years of Japanese Artisan Design DVD

To me there are few things as magical as Shibori. Tieing amazingly small knots all over yards and yards of white fabric that are then thrown into a pool of indigo dye. A project that could involve an entire community working on a different aspect of a project. The time and the art.

Over the years I have certainly tried several of the different techniques. Frankly anyone who has tie-dyed has, but I always have the fear of throwing it in the dye. What if my knots were not tight enough, what if I screwed up and the dots didn't fade. Though this summer I am going to give it another go when the weather improves. MG want to come over and play?

There are so many aspects of Japanese textiles and crafts that fascinate me. I don't know how many times I have watched this DVD since it first came out. It takes you through a brief history of Shibori and then an overview of the different types of both hand and machine knot tieing. Watching the artisans are truly inspirational in this DVD.

Arimatsu-Narumi Shibori: Celebrating 400 Years of Japanese Artisan Design (Japanese / English Language Version)
Starring: Hiroshi Murase, Yoshiko Iwamoto Wada Director: Andrew Galli
Format: DVD
Language: English / Japanese

No comments:

Post a Comment