Home > Knitbuddies > Welcome

Sunday, April 19, 2009

kitty: Kimono: The 20th- Century Masterworks of Itchiku Kubota - Canton, OH: April 18, 2009 (Canton Museum of Art) Cont.

Back in February I posted about - Kimono: The 20th- Century Masterworks of Itchiku Kubota - Canton, OH: Feb 8 - April 26, 2009 (Canton Museum of Art)

M and I finally made it up to Canton yesterday. I would have been very sad to have not gotten to see Itchiku Kubota Kimono's again while they were in the United States. His work really is breath taking to behold.

They were even hanging properly so you were able to see the beauty unobscured by glass and hanging from floor to ceiling. A way textiles are seldom shown in museums due to the exposure to the lights, human beings, and environment. It was certainly a rare treat to be able to look at the ink paintings just inches from the surface.

Though I was somewhat upset with comments that I was hearing of other people who were viewing the show. It really made me realize what little exposure we have to high quality silk in this country and embroidery craftsmen.

In the photo you can also see what I am currently knitting. Sock Pixie a couple of weeks ago dyed a collection of Roving inspired by the catalogue for the collection. I picked up a couple of ounces of several of the colour ways (This one is Blue Trace of Hope in the Snow). This one hopefully will be a Hap Shawl. I just hope I have enough yarn.

2 comments:

  1. I adore his kimmono--I saw them in Japan and have his huge book. What a magnificent eye for color!

    As for the Queen Ring--the knitting is actually dead simple. There's lots of plain knitting and the pattern is really easy. It looks difficult because it's a) huge and b) knit with very fine yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I missed this kimono exhibit in 1995.

    ReplyDelete