Home > Knitbuddies > Welcome

Monday, February 24, 2014

Knitting Winter Games 2014 - complete


 
Pattern: Headger VI
Designer: Catherine Lowe - Site
Yarn: Wollmeise The "Pure" 100% Merino Superwash - Buxkranzl




Hard to believe that the winter Olympics are over. This is one of the first times I have watched the games where I just couldn't get that excited and I didn't feel like what they meant to me was represented. So I had the think long and hard about whether or not to knit an Olympic project this time around. I knew I didn't want to officially sign up for any group on Revelry, that was for certain.

In the end though I decided that it was important to carry on that tradition on this blog. One of the most memorable and meaningful things I knit with MG was the Kiri Shawl in 2006. We had so much fun challenging ourselves to complete it during the 2 weeks. MG even sat down and calculated how many stitches we had to do a day to meet our task. I had really hoped she would knit with me again this Olympic, but in the end she didn't.

I had great hopes of doing multiple simple accessories for the challenge but in the end I complete the Follow your Arrow Mystery KAL and Headger VI by Catherine Lowe. The KAL really couldn't be counted since only Clue 5 was knit during the Olympics. I also started to knit two other hats, but they were not the shape that really wanted. It kind of surprises me how few true beret patterns are available. Most of the ones on Ravelry are really more like Tam o' Shanter instead.

The Catherine Lowe hat may be the hardest thing I have ever tried to knit. The fluted Stitch and Selvage stitch worked out to about 10 rows every 45 minutes. It really was rather insane since I am not a slow knitter when I actually have time to knit. Heck I could have knit another shawl in the time it took to knit the headband.

The one major mistake I made was that I was so caught up in finishing the hat that I didn't check my gauge for the main body of the hat. The reality is though that it was knit on US 1's so I really only could have gone down much more in needle size. The gauge for my band was spot on. So the hat is pretty floppy. I could try to shrink it by throwing it in the dryer, but right now I am just happy I was able to complete it during the Olympics. It hasn't been blocked at this point while I wait to decide what to do. In the end, I am pretty happy with it, floppiness and all.

So this brings to an end another Winter Games Challenge on the blog!!!! I would say I got a gold for completion.






No comments:

Post a Comment