Home > Knitbuddies > Welcome

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Kitty: Eat Local Challenge for a Week

Eat Local August Challenge

After reading Andrea's post over at Mellow Trouble it really got me to think about my diet and how much of the food I eat is not local in any way shape or form. This could have something to do with the fact that I shoppe at 5 import grocery stores for different ethnic foods every other week or so. Or lets be honest I eat out as much as possible since I work out of the house. I do get CSA veggies every week in the summer from Poston Farms, which is local. The meat for the most part that I eat is local, (I know the farmer and the butcher.) but there is no way I would eat ohio fish. The olentangy river use to catch on fire during the '80's.

I wrote Andrea that I didn't think there was any way that I could eat local here in the midwest. I was guessing that my intake would be about 25% or less local. I knew that MG had been trying to do the challenge while she was in Ohio and now back in SFO. I was really impressed by both of there efforts. I feared the greatest problem would be that I eat out about 75% of the time. So I though long and hard and decided to eat local for dinner this past week. Could I do it or would I fail miserably?

Well here was my solution, eat my local spaghetti. Only thing not local was olive oil, salt, and pepper. The 4 cups of herbs were even from my own garden. I did it except for one meal out at Chipotle the night I had to clean the house. I figured it was my reward for cleaning the entire house alone since I knew the hubby was going to point out he had been awake for 46 hours strait.

So my dinners were 6/7 local, even though I must say after 7 days of spaghetti I really am tired of it.

See, I even made 15 containers of tomato base sauce since I couldn't buy any.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this again, you ate the same thing 6 days in a row. That sounds crazy. Rose

    ReplyDelete