Home > Knitbuddies > Welcome

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Kitty: Halloween 2005 - Mao, from Super Chef Pumpkin

I had so many big plans this year for Halloween. I was going to make costumes for Mac and myself from one of our favorite anime's. I had it all planned out, but I have been literally working around the clock only sleeping a couple of hours a night and lucky to even have time to eat a meal a day. Not much time for anything it seems, and yes no time for knitting either. I have probably snuck in 10 rows in 2 wks so it is pretty sad. :(

Mac was making fun of me this morning, that I posted my very old pumpkin photos today to wish everyone a Happy Halloween. In his own special way, I think he was just trying to get me to take a break and carve a pumpkin this afternoon.

So here is Mao, from an old anime called "Super Chef" or "Cooking Master Boy!", also known as "Chuuka Ichiban!" The anime was inspired by the TV show called Iron Chef. One of the consultants was actually "The mother of Japanese Cooking," she was one of the woman who won against Chen and made the beef and potato dish.

The story is about a young boy who is a cooking genius and becomes the youngest super chef's in Chinese history. Mao sets out a long journey from the Szechwan province to become a great chef like his mother who has passed away. Along the way he encounters many different experiences and the viewer is exposed to authentic Chinese delicacies. Every episode left me wanting to run to the kitchen to make real food and made my husband homesick for food of his childhood. Especially all the food from the Chinese wedding banquets of students of his grandfather that he use to attend.

I was pretty pleased with how he turned out. I just started to free hand carve him from memory. I knew essentially what I wanted to do. It gave me an excuse to dig out all my weird carving tools that I have collected over the years. The hands and arms could have been better, but I was talking to clients on the phone and the 6:00 deadline was approaching.

Hope you all had a wonderful Halloween! The best holiday of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment