Home > Knitbuddies > Welcome

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

kitty: happy 4th of July... well slightly belated

The colour is melon, and as I found almost impossible to photograph. This photo is the closets colour match.

Photo from Habu's Site
Item#: KIT 51 kid mohair cape Content: 80% mohair, 18% wool, 2% nylon
Price: $39.00
Bought it from a merchant at the Knitters Connection Merchant room.

Happy 4th of July Project for me!!

It was funny; MG and I have been talking a lot about crochet books and crochet projects lately. In one of our recent aim chats she told me she bet that she would see a crochet project from me before the summer was over. Well that bet lasted about 48 hours and then I sent her a cell phone picture of my Habu scarf.

I had been playing with the pattern for a while and really running into a lot of problems. The cape is essentially done in 4 pieces. I had done the bottom two pieces and tried them on and really didn't like how they fell on me. I thought that it looked too small for my scale. Then entered the fear that if I did them to the proper scale I wouldn't have enough yarn in the kit.

So I decided to start with the knitted section and then work my way down. That way I would have the control to make it the proper scale, and also if I didn't have enough yarn to finish the next row I could just stop. Once nice thing about crochet is that there is no binding off.

One warning I would give you if you try to make the shawl is the knitting needle size in the pattern for US size is wrong. The actual size is somewhere between a 10 and an 11 not the 6 or 7 that they tell you to use in the pattern. I also could never find a chart to what a size 15 Japanese crochet hook is in US sizes. Since the 15 in US sizes is way to small.

I constructed the cape by knitting the collar and then just casting on directly from the bound off edge for the body. I essentially followed the increases in the pattern but increased 2 extra stitches in the front and back on every other opposite rows for increases.

The total construction time once I decided to do it this way took about 2 hours to finish and then another 2 days to block dry.

Sorry the colours are really off. They were taken in the basement since really wearing mohair in 98 degree weather just isn't going to happen.

2 comments:

  1. ROFL. I don't understand why you don't want to wear it every minute you are outside today. 98 sounds like perfect weather to me. ROFL

    It is really pretty and I am sure it will be a nice and warm this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely...

    It has really been busy around here as of late. Glad to hear from both of you again.

    ReplyDelete