Home > Knitbuddies > Welcome

Saturday, August 04, 2007

kitty: Knitted Market Bag - sneak peak

A little sneak peak of what I have been working on. There have been so many great Market Bags popping up online recently I decided that wanted to make my own. Lets face it is a pretty simple concept; flat bottom, slanted sides to create sides, straight construction of 4 panels, and a handle. Not a lot of math involved and something that can replace all of the plastic waste bags that I collect with daily life.

This is what I have so far. I like the general shape and design, but after blocking my bag measure oh.......... 12*23*4. It is a little long since I know there will be stretching due to contents. I also want to sew linen handles and top band and bottom band for stability.

The concept behind the lace patterns was to knit patterns that I knew by heart as practice. Since patterns were passed down and then practiced over and over until they were committed to memory. So this is what my memory lead to after all the reading I have been doing. Nothing was written down or charted. Just knit, knit, knit

It is made out of three balls of Maggie Ireland's old linen.

(Yes.. the increase in the lace there could have been done better.)

On a side note:

Today is one of those days that comes around every year full of happiness, memories, laughter, tears, joy and of course sadness for me. A day where I crave Southern Fried Chicken, Sausage Gravy and home made butter biscuits, Vienna Sausages, pound cake, and a piece of butter scotch handed to the little girl on the stool facing the wall. This year though it has hit me pretty hard, guess I have been thinking of my Grandmother a lot as of late. Don't really know why, but today would have been her Birthday. So Happy Birthday Grandma!!!! I really miss you

And on a much happier note,

Happy Belated Bday to My sweetie M!!!!! Yesterday was his Bday!

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I have a few balls of Maggi's linen that I had bought to knit myself a summer top and never got around it. Maybe I should consider knitting a market bag. :)

    Will you finish your bag this weekend, handles and all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be the envy of all shoppers, but most especially if you take that bag to a yarn store :)

    Wish my grandparents were around too. There are days I could use a hug and an ice cream cone, myself.

    ReplyDelete