Home > Knitbuddies > Welcome

Sunday, November 15, 2009

kitty: We interrupt this blog, for an personal message: Happy Anniversary of our first Date, M

Julia Margaret Cameron
Rachel Gurney, I Wait, 1872 © The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles
Julia Margaret Cameron
Mary Hiller, Call, I follow, I follow, let me die! 1867 @The V&A

One of Robinson's most famous photos comprised of 5 negatives. It was quiet controversial since critics didn't think death should be shown with the painful sentiment of the human experience. This photo is one of the best examples of the combination of art and science at the birth of photography.

Fanny Cornforth 1863
©Delaware Art Museum, Samuel and Mary R. Bancroft Memorial
H.P. Robinson
"Fading Away" 1858

Today marks the 15th Anniversary of my first Date with M. Though we had known each other for about
2-3 years before, November 15th was the first time we went out on an actual date. Sadly M, still remembers me dropping a piece of rice on my hair and teases me about it to this day.

Today also marks the 1 year anniversary of getting back into photography. M bought me a DSLR last year as an anniversary gift and it really has changed our lives over the past year. We have become a lot more active, leaving our computers to actual go out and enjoy the world. Taking a few minutes to breath the air outside our door and being still long enough to capture a bee in flight.

One summer M's cousin spent the summer with us, and recorded in her nightly diary what she had done that day. Looking back at it, it is kind of painful if you consider how routine we were in our activities and work. Saturday, get up 11am, Go to Chinese Buffet, 1:30 Go to Bubble Tea, Go across the street to MicroCenter look around taking the same path each week, Leave 2:30, Go to Best Buy walk the same path, Go Home by 4 and play video games or work. That pretty much was our life, we went to computer stores or stayed on the computer working. Now we still stay on the computers far to many hours working we are at least taking some time to enjoy life now and time together pursuing our mutual passion of photography.

Photography has always held a special place in my heart though. During High School I meet a photographer, David Hungate who helped teach me how to photograph sunspots as one of the side aspects of my Science Fair Projects. That experience also lead to me trying to major in Historical Photography in College. Sadly OSU closed the department soon after I declared my major.

So it really has been rediscovering an old love this past year and a happy exploration. Don't worry I still have a great passion for knitting and fiber, but photography is a new hobby that I can share with M.

Happy Anniversary M and to my D90. Thank You

Some of my favorite photos that I have taken this past year.

The photos at the top of the post are some of my favorite photos in history. I have always loved the pre-raphaelite photographers and early Victorian Mourning photographers. The emotions that they were able to capture with what we would consider premative equipment has always amazed me. But as Ansel Adams "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."

To be honest the reason that I have pretty much always had long hair has been my love and admiration of the beauties depicted in pre-raphaelite art.

Kitty Kitty on Flickr M on Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment